With many people on the road each day in the Fresno area, being a careful and aware driver is vital. While you cannot control other drivers’ actions, there are several things you can do to increase your chances of getting to and from your destination safely. If you do end up in an accident, contact a Fresno Personal Injury Lawyer right away!
- Be aware of other drivers around you. If another driver appears to be swerving or otherwise not paying attention, distance yourself from that driver. You may need to take a different route or alter your speed to get away from the driver.
- Always wear your seatbelt when riding in a vehicle. It could save you from serious injury if you are involved in a crash. According to California law, everyone over 8 years old that is at least 4 feet 9 inches should use a seat belt. Younger passengers should use child safety seats.
- Put your cell phone down when driving. Do not text or surf the Internet while driving. While California law, with some restrictions, does permit hands-free cell phone use, using a hands-free device while driving should be done carefully. Avoid any phone calls that may take your attention away from driving.
- Watch carefully at intersections. Before entering an intersection, make sure it is safe to do so. Even if your light is green or you have waited your turn at a stop sign, another driver may decide to go out of turn.
- Slow down and be extra careful when it is raining or when the roads are wet or slick.
Keep your vehicle in good repair. Properly inflated tires, brakes that are in good working condition, windshield wipers, and otherwise keeping your vehicle in good repair will maximize your ability to stop and, potentially, avoid crashing into another vehicle. You should also make sure your lights are working properly, especially if you are driving at night or in severe weather.
Unfortunately, accidents happen. Sometimes, other drivers do not take the proper precautions and people get injured. If you were injured in an accident caused by another driver, contact us. We have Fresno Personal Injury Lawyers with years of experience in these types of cases.